Thursday, May 26, 2011

Cookbooks for Mommies

I mentioned in my last post that I was going through a cooking slump. I tend to go into phases where I am inspired and cook up a storm in the kitchen to not knowing what I want to cook or what I feel like eating. The latter may be happening more frequently due to lack of sleep and poor planning. And what I am coming to realize is that I may be excited about making a new dish for our little girl and/or the hubby. But it  doesn't mean that she is just as enthusiastic and may not enjoy it or eat it. It gets frustrating at times when I really try to make a nutritious meal and it just isn't appetizing to them.

Though I am reading that children get into phases where they will have a day that they will not want to eat alot. And these days are best to give them nutrient dense foods. On days like this a good idea would be a great broth or miso soup. Or what I've been doing are snacks that I know she likes. Though this might not be the best approach. So I turned to my many cookbooks for some help. I've collected a lot over the past couple of years, but always found it funny that I would rather turn to my laptop and find recipes online before going into the cookbooks. Now I find myself taking a cookbook with me to bed so I can seek out a new recipe to try.

For all the busy moms out there, I thought I would share some of the newer cookbooks that I have purchased over the last year. Being a new mom, I was looking for new recipes when I started Katelyn on solids. I'm sure  I will find more and keep you all posted when I get them :)

Here are a couple to start:


Wholefood for Children
Source
Wholefood for Children - Jude Blereau
I started following Judy's blog over a year ago. And it was funny since my Naturopathic Doctor recommended me this cookbook and after looking at it. I picked one up that week. It contains many recipes that are geared towards children from 6 months to 7 years of age. Recipes contain whole, nutrient dense and real food. And if you have concerns with any sensitivities or allergies, recipes are listed as "gluten free" and "dairy free" when applicable. It is also a great resource for information about whole foods and advice on feeding your child. 


The Eat-Clean Diet for Family and Kids: Simple Strategies for Lasting Health and Fitness
Source
The Eat-Clean Diet for Family & Kids - Tosca Reno
Another great resource for some helpful information on feeding kids. I will have to hold off on this one since this is geared towards older children.

Sprout Right
Source
Sprout Right. Nutrition from Tummy to Toddler - Lianne Phillipson-Webb
Sprout right is a great source of information for all the stages, such as nutrition during your pregnancy to the nutritional requirements for your toddler. It also has a few recipes at the back of the book for the various growth stages. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the cookbooks. I currently use Sprout Right after taking one of Lianne's classes at Whole Foods. I'll check out your other recommendations. My baby is 6.5 months. The doctor wants to start him on meat. I'm getting mixed messages from the internet, books, friends etc about the introduction of meat. Somehow I don't think he's ready for it. He was born 5 weeks early and he hasn't gone through all of his first foods yet.

Aileen said...

Thanks for reading! Your little guy is adorable!!